Mount Bromo Travel Guide
The most iconic mountain to hike in Indonesia is Mount Bromo. Whether you agree or not, in fact, this mountain stands majestically and always shows its breathtaking scenery. Spending the holiday with doing Mount Bromo tour is a must to do. Here, people can see the amazing sunrise which is very popular in the world. Except that, walking around the tourist attractions of Bromo is also recommended. Whatever that is, Mount Bromo Indonesia is ready to welcome you.
Read also : Java Travel Guide
Mount Bromo Facts
Before you go to this mountain in East Java, Indonesia, you need to know about all information and Mount Bromo facts. This mountain is one of the most active volcanoes in Indonesia. It is situated in four regencies that are Probolinggo, Malang, Lumajang, and Pasuruan district. Bromo becomes one of the mountains inside the Bromo Tengger Semeru National Park. As the most active volcanoes, every 20 minutes it erupts periodically. It may sound very horrible for you, but at the same time this mountain is the easiest-to-climb mountain.
The word Bromo means ‘Brahma’, one of the gods in Hindu Trimurti gods. It also has ‘Mahameru’ as its other name which implies ‘The Great Mountain’. Though as a great mountain, Mount Bromo is not the highest one, but it has the most beautiful scenery of sunrise and of national park.
In the mountain, local who holds Hinduism, always held the memorial ceremony of Yadnya Kasada. This ceremony is to offer some offerings such as, fruits, flowers, chicken, rice, and livestock. It is held according to the legend of a spouse named Roro Anteng and Joko Seger which has 25 children. Yadnya Kasada held in 14th mounth Kasodo (Javanese calendar).
Mount Bromo Sunrise
Mount Bromo sunrise is considered as the best mountain sunrise in Indonesia. This mountain also offers other beauty such as caldera scenery with black sand called sea of sand, the green savannah on the other side, and other gray color mountains that stand in Tengger National Park which looks so tough and rough.
Read also :
Bromo Tengger Semeru National Park
Step back 820.000 years to an ancient volcanic massif that is the Bromo Tengger Semeru National Park, covering a total area of 5250 hectares at an altitude of about 2100 meters.
Tengger, an ancient caldera has a unique sea of sand in which five newer volcanoes have emerged, Mount Bromo (2392 m), Mount Batok (2470 m), Mount Kursi (2581 m), Mount Watonga (2661 m) and Mount Wooddale (2650 m), visitors come for the surreal experience of crossing a sea of black sand inside the caldera of this ancient volcano.
There are seven mountains around the Tengger caldera including Mount Pananjakan (2770 m), further south in the national park is the Semeru Jambangan group, which is the highest peak of Java, Mount Semeru (3676 m) and eight other mountains.
How to Get There
After you got along this way, you may be curious how to get to Mount Bromo? To go here, there are many routes that can be chosen. Yogyakarta to Mount Bromo route is the most common one. If you are from Yogyakarta, you can go first to Surabaya using train. After that using train again, go to Probolinggo. Arrived in Probolinggo, you can use buses to go to Cemoro Lawang, the entrance area of Mount Bromo. More info how to get from yogyakarta to Bromo here
Read also : How to get to Bromo from Yogyakarta
From Singapore To Bromo
- Direct flight from Singapore to Surabaya with Garuda Airlines, Scoot, Jetstar, Singapore airlines, Silk Air
From Kuala Lumpur To Bromo
- Direct flight from Kuala Lumpur to Surabaya with Air Asia
- Flight to Malang
- Flight to Surabaya
- Flight to Banyuwangi
From those places you can continue by public minibuses to go to village of Cemara Lawang
- You can take train from Jakarta to Surabaya or Malang
- You can take train from Yogyakarta to Surabaya or Malang
- You can take train from Yogyakarta to Probolinggo (small town located between Surabaya – Banyuwangi coastal route)
- Take public bus to Surabaya or Malang or Probolinggo
From Bali to Bromo
- Flight from Bali to Surabaya then continue by bus or private car to Bromo
Bali to Mount Bromo is also another route you can take. So from Bali, take bus and headed to Gilimanuk port to cross the island. Yes, you need ferry to cross from Bali to Banyuwangi. After the crossing which takes 45 minutes to go, you need to go to train station in Banyuwangi and headed to Probolinggo. Take the bus from Probolinggo and the last is to go to Cemoro Lawang.
Places to Visit in Bromo
Here are some beautiful spots in Mount Bromo, favorite of every tourists that come here.
- Sunrise Top Pananjakan: This is the place where you will see scenic sunrise in the mountain. Pananjakan Sunrise Viewpoint is the most popular among tourist.
- Bromo Crater: To get to this place you need to climb for a while. but the view is quite unique with a fairly wide crater. Be careful, of course, not to slip away.
- Bromo Temple: When you climb the mountain, you can find not so big temple for Hindu people in Tengger tribe. You can explore it, but make sure you ask your guide.
- Bromo Savana/Teletubbies Hill: Mount Bromo has a wide savanna that also called as Teletubbies Hill because of the shape which reminds people of the hill in Teletubbies show.
- Whispering Sand: Pasir Berbisik or Whispering Sand is one of the must visit places in Bromo. Here you can find sand that seems to whisper because it is hit by the wind. The rustle of sand flying in the wind is better heard during the dry season.
- Madakaripura Waterfall: Madakaripura is the highest waterfall in Java. Surrounded by green hills, the 200 meter high waterfall can drip water on all areas of the cliff just like a dancing rain.
- Tengger Tribe: Around the mountain is the home of Tengger tribe. Bromo residents have traditions ancient enough and well maintained. So you can get to know its uniqueness, learn the best things it has.
- Package to Bromo: Combine your tour to Bromo with other best destination nearby such as Ijen plateau, Baluran National Park, Sukamade Turtle Beach, Semeru Mount and more.
Read also : Top 10 Things To Do in Bromo